Monday, August 13, 2007

Mike Wieringo RIP

I found out today that one of my favorite comic artists died yesterday. Mike Wieringo was 44 years young. More in the link. The Comic Industry is diminished by his absence.

Mike kept a blog which I visited twice each week. He'd post a sketch a couple of times per week, and share something about his creative process as well. Or he'd just talk about what was cool in comics, what projects were coming up, that sort of thing. It was always a treat to read his posts as they really showed how much love he has for comics. I was always eager to see what Mike would sketch, and you can imagine my reaction when I saw this:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I'm saddened knowing that it's the closest Mike got to my favorite hero.

Mike's artwork had a cleaner line than other pencillers, and reminds me a lot of Mike Parobeck (who also died far too young), but what strikes me most about his work is his ability to convey great ranges of emotion with only a few well placed lines. He was a master storyteller whose talent, kindness, and generosity will be greatly missed.

It wasn't that long ago that Mike sketched this in honor of Bart Allen (Impulse/Kid Flash/Flash), a character he helped create.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I'm going to miss those twice weekly visits...

1 comment:

Tegan said...

Mike Wieringo did another Aquaman sketch, dedicated to me, even though he'd never met me. You can see it on my Aquaman website: http://aqua.gjovaag.com/blog/2007/08/mike-wieringo.html along with a link to the entry in which he dedicated the sketch to me.