Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Enterprise!

I knew it wouldn't take long, but here is the first still of the new U.S.S. Enterprise from the Star Trek Teaser (Currently playing with the movie Cloverfield).

First, here's the image:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

From what I can see, things look pretty consistent with what I expected. The ship has the 'azteking' noticeable in the movie Enterprises, and the warp engines look very big and impressive. It's hard to tell, but I think the ship's registry is bigger than before. The U.S.S. Enterprise part looks great but the NCC-1701 looks to be placed very near the edge of the saucer section, rather than in the middle. But then again, it could simply be the head-on angle the photo was taken from. We'll see more soon hopefully. And speaking of the registry, it looks like they are using the same font as the movie ships. It certainly doesn't look like the blocky Impact-type font they used in the original show.

Back to the engines... The nacelle caps are missing, allowing the rotating structure beneath to be seen. Hopefully the caps will be simple domes on the end of the nacelles without the spike in the middle (that always irritated me). The 'fins' on the ends of the nacelles look to be intercoolers (also established fact). It's hard to comment without seeing more, but what I have seen looks good! At least I won't be going into the movie hating the redesign of the ship.

One other thing... It appears from these pictures that this Enterprise is being constructed on Earth, rather than in space. This would be a deviation from established fact, but I think I can live with that change, as long as the explanation makes sense.

Boy, I can't wait to see the Full Monty!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it's not a deviation from canon at all. E was constructed at the SF Navy Yards, then the components were finished in orbit.

Sensor Sweep said...

Can you site a source for this information? Everything I've seen says the SF Navy Shipyards were in orbit.