Saturday, November 25, 2006

Collection Complete


This week my Star Trek DVD library has been made complete with the release of the Animated Adventures of Star Trek on DVD. With this set, I have every episode of every Star Trek series and movie ever made. I've been buying these discs for so long it's hard to imagine not having a new release to look forward to.

I vividly remember the show, and even got up at 6:30 am to watch it on Saturday mornings. I haven't seen the shows like this since my Laser Disc player worked. I have the Animated Star Trek laser disc box set, but my player gave up the ghost a few years ago.

The set even has special features, which were fabulous! DC Fontana and others associated with the show all talked about the influence the Animated Series had on Trek canon. They feel, as I do, that it is a part of Star Trek canon. Mike Sussman, a writer for Enterprise, mentioned things he wrote specifically for Enterprise that were referenced in the animated series so they became canon. I don't know why there was ever any discussion about whether or not it was canon... it was written and produced by the very same people responsible for the 3 seasons of live action Star Trek, the original cast performed the voice work for the series (even going so far as to get guest actors on the original series to reprise their roles in animation). One other fact: out of all the Star Trek produced in the last 40 years (which adds up to 714 hours of television programming), the Animated Series was responsible for the only Emmy Star Trek ever won. It was a daytime Emmy for Outstanding Children's Television Program. And while later series were honored with many Emmy nominations, the Animated Series was the only one to bring home the gold.

So you can't tell me it doesn't count.

No comments: