Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Those Were The Days...

I was thinking about my favorite Halloween candy and what immediately came to mind was Rockets. Each cylindrical tube of compressed powder had different colours. There was white, pink, purple, green, yellow, and orange (though to be fair, yellow and orange sometimes look the same so maybe there's only five rather than six) and each colour had a specific flavour. My favorites of the bunch (and this is true for all powdered candy type candies) were always cherry (pink) and grape (purple). Even in Flintstones vitamins, the pink and purple are the best flavours, what can I say?

I used to open the package and sort the flavours before eating, that way I could eat all the cherry ones at once. I used to sort my Smarties too, but not because they tasted different, just because it was fun.

When I was a kid, we were able to buy whole packages of cherry, grape, or assorted flavour SweetTarts. Lik'em Stick flavours were the same... Remember those? They were the candy stick that came with two different dipping powders. I never cared for the lemon or orange flavours, but loved grape and cherry. Except they always sold the good flavours with a crappy one. Grape would be packaged with orange, and cherry with something else.

Now I'm told that SweetTarts have a slightly different taste and you can only get them in assorted flavors.

And still on the topic of candy, during our last trip to California we learned that Rockets are called Smarties. They're packaged like the Rockets we know, but with Smarties as the name (in the same font!) Ok, I admit it, I bought some and they taste identical to Rockets.

Too bad they couldn't make that kind of candy sugar-free...

No comments: