Sunday, July 22, 2007

What The... !?

People who don't live in Edmonton may have heard all about our shortage of workers and how businesses can't attract people to come and work for them. Pardon me for saying this, but isn't there a tent town full of people looking for work? Has anyone assessed whether these people have skills and talents that could be put to use being employed?

Anyway, I digress. I stopped at a local grocery store (Save-On Foods) this weekend. I had a few things, but not too many for the express checkout lane. The total was 11.43. I had some loonies and toonies I wanted to use so I pulled out four toonies and four loonies and handed it to the cashier. She looked directly at me and said, "Do you know how much this is?" I told her it should be twelve dollars and she took my word for it.

First thing - you are a CASHIER. That means it is your job to EXCHANGE CASH for goods bought in your store! Second, it wasn't like I handed her a jar full of pennies... there were eight rather large coins to count. It didn't seem like rocket science to me, but apparently it was too much for her.

My patience with people like this grows thinner each day.

No comments: